Friday, October 25, 2013

Kasdan In, Arndt Out

Director J.J. Abrams has brought on board writer, director and producer Lawrence Kasdan to help him re-write the script for the upcoming third STAR WARS trilogy to replace first choice writer, Michael Arndt.




Personally, I was glad to hear this news.  Not only did I think through his body of work, that Arndt was the wrong choice to write the next SW film, let alone the next trilogy, but I just didn't think he would do the story justice.  I understand him, accurate or otherwise, to not be a fan of the franchise.  His credentials are fine with Little Miss Sunshine and Toy Story 3, but I just don't think that was substantial enough to make me believe he "got" what the characters and story was all about.

With Kasdan and the late Leigh Brackett giving us The Empire Strikes Back (1980) and Kasdan giving us Return of the Jedi (1983) along with the other George Lucas vehicle, Raiders of the Lost Arc (1981), it's not altogether crazy to think he is the right choice (actually in my opinion, the only choice from the beginning) to be the main author of this new trilogy.  He knows the characters, he knows the premise and he knows how to be dark, which is exactly what Empire needed after A New Hope.

If I have even the slightest of intuition, I believe the producers of this project will borrow themes and characters from author Timothy Zahn's book series, Heir to the Empire and it's sequels, Dark Force Rising and The Last Command.  Released in 1991, these are still the best STAR WARS novels going.  These and his later SW stories, Spector of the Past and Vision of the Future.  Both these trilogies and duologies are centered around the character of Grand Admiral Thrawn (other than the main protagonists that is) the greatest villain since Darth Vader.  And yes, that does include Darth Maul and Darth Sidious/The Emperor. If you've read any of these books, you'll know what I'm talking about.  If you haven't and you consider yourself a STAR WARS fan, READ THEM!  Seriously, how could you have not already?

Also, I've learned a little bit of the casting call Disney has out for the films (at least for the first one) and they're reportedly are looking for "young girl in her 20s, athletic" and "male in his 60s"  I''m thinking the girl will be Jaina, the daughter of Han Solo And Leia Organa-Solo.  As for her siblings, twin Jacen and little brother Anakin, who knows?  And as for the "male in his 60s?  No idea.

With Kasdan on board, I am feeling a little bit more positive about this.  Now I hope J.J. Abrams knows not to "Jar-Jar Binks" this thing.

Just in case, here's a little guide for him:


No comments: